MetaEdit+ API for programmatic access
The MetaEdit+ API allows you to build sophisticated tool integration between MetaEdit+ and other tools. The API provides access to both models and functions in MetaEdit+. You may create, read, update, and delete model elements in MetaEdit+, and also control MetaEdit+ for scripting or simulation support.
The MetaEdit+ API uses the widely supported and open SOAP Web Services standard for application integration. This makes MetaEdit+ functions easily accessible from almost any programming language (Java, C, C++, C#, Visual Basic, Perl etc.), platform (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, etc.) or environment (e.g. office tools like Excel).
Typical API use scenarios include:
- Simulation: animate models in MetaEdit+ while running code (see example)
- Model transformations: update all models with similar changes
- Import models and code programmatically (see guide)
- IDE integration (see examples with Eclipse and Visual Studio)
- Integrate with external version control systems (see examples with Git and SVN)
- Model checking & guidance
Animating models in MetaEdit+ while running code
An emulator or a programming environment can use the API to trace or animate model execution. Execution of the code highlights the corresponding model element in MetaEdit+ with a red outline. See our video on animating models when debugging with Visual Studio and with Eclipse.