MetaCase Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > > MetaEdit+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building metamodel disrupts subgraph usage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bram.bolder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building metamodel disrupts subgraph usage
    Posted: 04.Mar.2022 at 10:12
I have build a language metamodel (via GOPRR) and now created the possibility to do decompositioning  (metamodel for multiple graphs [MFMG]).
After pressing "Build" on the MFMG, I can now create subgraphs for all the respective elements in existing graphs based on the original metamodel. That's all fine.

When I change the original metamodel (removing a property) and press "Build", I lose the possibility to create subgraphs (also for completely new graphs). I get the error message "No existing or possible subgraphs or subgraph types!". When pressing "Build" of the MFMG, it works again. Is this intended behavior, or do I have some malformed metamodel?
stevek View Drop Down
MetaCase
MetaCase

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04.Mar.2022 at 11:18
Yes, that's the expected behaviour: you need to build from the Metamodel for Multiple Graphs to get subgraph links between graph types. 

The individual Metamodel graphs don't contain any subgraph links, so when you build from one of those, that graph type is updated to correspond to the information in the Metamodel graph - i.e. no subgraph links.
bram.bolder View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bram.bolder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04.Nov.2022 at 08:15
I have a similar issue now, but more severe.

I have 3 languages that are connected via one "metamodel for multiple graphs". Some objects have properties of types defined in one of the other languages.

If I rebuild (any) one of them, it deletes a property (that was defined via the 'Property' relationship of GOPRR) from certain objects. This information loss is permanent as soon as I would press 'Commit'. I need to rebuild, as some things have changed, but this always seems to delete all the property content - there are over 100 objects that are affected and I'd have to restore the information from all of them.

There also does not seem to be a stable configuration/order of "calling build for all the languages involved" that creates the state that I desire, i.e. be able to create subgraphs AND have the 'property' that keeps getting lost. I either have the possibility of creating subgraphs OR of having the 'property'.

Would it be useful, if I would upload the languages?
jpt View Drop Down
MetaCase
MetaCase

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07.Nov.2022 at 07:18
The generator producing the metamodel from multiple graphs takes all the properties from the first instance (object type in metamodel) it finds – including those defined with Property relationship. Other definitions that are possibly made in other graphs for the same instance are not acknowledged. This behavior could be changed by changing the generator. (Graphical GOPRR uses the same generator system and MERL than all other generators in MetaEdit+). 

As for now, one solution could be to define properties via a dialog rather than via the Property -relationship. In other words: when adding a property to an object, choose as Datatype either ‘Object’ or ‘Collection’ and then in the field Object Datatype pick the already defined object (or create new ones). 

Since there are already content (models based on the metamodel), the graph type in which change is made should be chosen so that minimal number of instances would be influenced. 

We’ll provide you upload an upload address via separate message.
bram.bolder View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bram.bolder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07.Nov.2022 at 07:51
Thanks for the information. I have now reconfigured the affected objects by using Object/Collection. That seems to work. Unfortunately one can no longer easily see the dependencies between the objects. One has to read text instead of directly seeing a link.
 Post Reply Post Reply